Recipe Russian Blini
For about 14 blini: 150-200 grams buckwheat flour / 10 grams instant yeast / 2½ dl. lukewarm milk / 2 split eggs / 1 tsp. Sugar / 60 grams of butter / 50 grams of flour
- Place half of the buckwheat flour in a large bowl
- Put yeast in a bowl and stir in about 1 dl lukewarm milk. Stir well to get a smooth yeast mixture.
- Add the yeast mixture to the buckwheat flour and let the batter, covered, rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- Melt 15 grams of butter in 1 dl. milk. Stir egg yolks and beat together with the risen batter. Stir in the flour and the rest of the buckwheat flour and beat it firmly for a few minutes.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter. Let this rise for another 20-30 minutes.
- Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and pour the batter into the desired size (approx. 5 cm Ø). Or use a non-stick pan without using butter. Fry the blinis for about 1 minute or until bubbles form, then flip and fry for about half a minute more. Use medium heat.
- In Russia, crêpes are also often called blinis. Fold it twice and garnish with creme fraiche and Tzar Caviar® or Cavinoir®.